Articles of Incorporation of Homeschool Adventures
— draft — working version — document under development —
The undernamed incorporators are individuals 18 years of age or older and adopt the following articles of incorporation to form a nonprofit corporation (Chapter 317A).
ARTICLE I — NAME
The name of this corporation shall be Homeschool Adventures.
Homeschool Adventures is also known by the abbreviation HSAdventures and by the acronym HSA.
ARTICLE II — REGISTERED OFFICE ADDRESS
Homeschool Adventures consists of a network of volunteers who organize group activities via the internet. Accordingly, Homeschool Adventures does not maintain a physical space. For the purposes of incorporation only, the home address of the founder of Homeschool Adventures is used.
ARTICLE III — PURPOSE
Homeschool Adventures is organized exclusively for educational purposes as specified in Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, including for such purposes, the making of distributions to organizations that qualify as exempt organizations under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or the corresponding section of any future federal tax code.
The purpose of Homeschool Adventures is twofold:
- Homeschool Adventures provides a network and support structure for individual area homeschoolers to organize group activities, including but not limited to ...
- field trips
- custom classes
- social gatherings
- weekday daytime classes
- educational discounts
- homeschool group openings
- homeschool testing resources
- unique learning opportunities
Homeschool Adventures area is the Twin Cities Metropolitan Area with occasional forays into Greater Minnesota and nearby Wisconsin.
ARTICLE IV — EXEMPTION REQUIREMENTS
At all times the following shall operate as conditions restricting the operations and activities of Homeschool Adventures:
- No part of the net earnings of Homeschool Adventures shall inure to the benefit of, or be distributable to its members, trustees, officers, or other private persons, except that Homeschool Adventures shall be authorized and empowered to pay reasonable compensation for services rendered and to make payments and distributions in furtherance of the purpose set forth in the purpose clause hereof.
- No substantial part of the activities of Homeschool Adventures shall constitute the carrying on of propaganda or otherwise attempting to influence legislation, or any initiative or referendum before the public, and Homeschool Adventures shall not participate in, or intervene in (including by publication or distribution of statements), any political campaign on behalf of, or in opposition to, any candidate for public office.
- Notwithstanding any other provisions of this document, Homeschool Adventures shall not carry on any other activities not permitted to be carried on by an organization exempt from federal income tax under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code or corresponding section of any future tax code, or by an organization, contributions to which are deductible under section 170(c)(2) of the Internal Revenue Code, or corresponding section of any future tax code.
ARTICLE V — MEMBERSHIP/BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Homeschool Adventures shall have members. The eligibility, rights and obligations of the members will be determined by Homeschool Adventures’ bylaws.
The management of the affairs of Homeschool Adventures shall be vested in a board of directors, known as the Leadership Council, as defined by the Homeschool Adventures’ bylaws. No director shall have any right, title, or interest in or to any property of Homeschool Adventures.
The number of directors constituting the initial board of directors is three (3); their names are as follows:
Members of the initial board of directors shall serve until the first annual meeting, at which their successors will be duly elected and qualified, or removed as provided in the bylaws.
ARTICLE VI — PERSONAL LIABILITY
No member, officer, or director of Homeschool Adventures shall be personally liable for the debts or obligations of Homeschool Adventures of any nature whatsoever, nor shall any of the property of the members, officers, or directors be subject to the payment of the debts or obligations of Homeschool Adventures.
ARTICLE VII - DURATION/DISSOLUTION
The duration of Homeschool Adventures existence shall be perpetual until dissolution.
Upon the dissolution of Homeschool Adventures, assets of the corporation shall be distributed for one or more exempt purposes within the meaning of Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or corresponding section of any future federal tax code, or shall be distributed to the federal government, or to a state or local government, for a public purpose.
ARTICLE VIII - INCORPORATORS
In witness whereof, we, the undernamed, have hereunto subscribed our names for the purpose of forming Homeschool Adventures under the laws of the State of Minnesota and certify we executed these Articles of Incorporation this [pending].