Frequently Asked Questions - Participating in the Group
The focus of HSAdventures is very narrow and specific: organizing and announcing local secular homeschool events.
To keep the volume of messages manageable, the moderators make every effort to keep post topics in line with that focus.
Non-members may have approved content forwarded to the group by simply contacting us.
- HSA Events organized by our members
- other local secular homeschool events and classes, including
- seminars and workshops for homeschool parents
- for example, MHA's Mini Conferences, MCGT's Homeschool Chapter Meetings, or Credits Before College's workshops.
- evening, weekend and summertime events exclusively for homeschoolers
- for example, Wild Mountain's Summer Homeschool Days
- local secular group field trip ideas and opportunities
Members may also post about the following:
- new member introductions
- local homeschool groups and meet-ups
- including open houses, membership drives, classes, events, field trips, seminars, workshops, used curriculum sales, fundraisers, and all other homeschool group-based activities
- discounts available to homeschoolers
- for example, the Science Museum of Minnesota's Teacher Membership, the Minnesota Children's Museum Homeschool Discount Program, or Barnes & Noble Educator Appreciation Days
- homeschool testing exam dates and other homeschool testing-related services or opportunities
- non-homeschool events featuring homeschoolers
- for example, theatrical productions in which your homeschooled child is a cast or crew member
- secular daytime-weekday events that welcome homeschool students while not being specifically targeted toward them
- for example, The Saint Paul Conservatory of Music's Coffee Concerts or Great River Water Park's Half-Price Open Swim
- secular educational contests and events that welcome homeschool students
- for example, Minnesota History Day, the Minnesota Supreme Court Historical Society Essay Contest, the National Geographic Bee or the National Mythology Exam
- Members may also post reviews of or requests for feedback about local homeschool events or educational services
At their discretion, moderators may allow members to occasionally post about the following provided the subject line begins with "OT" (for Off-Topic). Approval of these discretionary posts is determined, in part, by relevance and general message volume.
- advertisements of items for sale or to giveaway or promotions for a members's business
- for better places to sell your used curriculum, please see Local resources for selling and buying used homeschool curriculum
- announcements about local evening, weekend or summertime events enjoyed by your own family that might also be of interest to other homeschoolers
- non-local (including online) events specifically for homeschoolers.
- religious homeschool events provided the religious nature of the event is clearly identified.
- as an inclusive secular group, Homeschool Adventures does not promote religious events itself but allows individual members of HSAdventures to post these events on the HSAdventures Yahoo Group and the Facebook HSAdventures Group . Religious events are not included on the website Calendar or shared via Facebook or Twitter.
- No requests to sign petitions are allowed
- No announcements for political events are allowed
- No non-homeschool religious events are allowed
Our asking you to not send off-topic posts to the HSAdventures Yahoo Group and the Facebook HSAdventures Group doesn't mean that we don't see value in those posts, just that HSAdventures is not the right place for them. We encourage you to explore whether or not your off-topic post would be welcome at either of our partner groups, MHA or ECHO-MN. Non-members may find advice about reaching homeschoolers in our Homeschool Outreach section.
Messages to the HSAdventures Yahoo Group are only partially moderated and messages to the Facebook HSAdventures Group are not moderated, so if a "hot button" post does get through, please don't respond to it. While we value the respectful discussion of ideas, HSAdventures is not the right place for such debate. You may contact the moderators at hsadventures-owner(at)yahoogroups.com if you wish to report a post as inappropriate.
Event Announcements Post Frequency:
Generally, most HSA Event organizers will ...
- send the original HSA Event Notice
- send a reminder a couple of days before the registration deadline
- for those HSA Events announced farther in advance, an additional reminder a couple of weeks before the registration deadline
... but you may need to ...
- send corrections, changes, or additional information (such as answers to frequently asked questions)
- send a plea or pleas for additional registrants if your HSA Event is facing cancellation due to low registration numbers.
Before announcing your HSA Event elsewhere, including on the Yahoo Groups of our partners, MHA or ECHO-MN, we recommend that you ask permission from that group’s moderator(s) or at the very least check that group’s posting policies.
- If the original announcement is more than 30 days before the registration deadline or event date, members may also send either one registration reminder as the registration deadline nears or one event reminder shortly before the event.
- While members may announce important changes (such as date, time or location) to the group, additional updates should be sent directly to registered participants.
- If an event is facing cancellation due to low registration numbers, members may request permission from the moderators to make additional re-postings.
Off Topic Post Frequency:
When you reply to a message from the HSAdventures Yahoo Group, it will only go to the message's author, not to the entire group. To post or reply to the group, use the group's email address: hsadventures(at)yahoogroups.com
Yahoo Groups is notorious for inserting line breaks into long URLs making them “unclickable.” To avoid this, enclose long URLs in angle brackets. However, angle brackets will not help if it is your email client that is inserting the line breaks. In that case, use an URL shortener such as bit.ly or tinyurl.
The Daily Digest groups the day’s messages together into a single email, along with an index of the messages. Since the HSAdventures Yahoo Group is fairly low traffic, the Daily Digest doesn’t go out that frequently. Usually you will get one (or fewer) Daily Digest each day, but on those rare occasions when traffic is heavier, you may get two in one day.
No Email (or web only) means you will still be a member of the HSAdventures Yahoo Group, but you won’t receive any emails. You have to visit the group to read messages and find out about upcoming events.
Note: If you joined the HSAdventures Yahoo Group via email commands, please not that you must have an active Yahoo Account to access group messages on the web.)
At this time, moderators are not making use of the Special Notices option.
- Go to groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/hsadventures/management/membership
- Click the Edit Settings pencil icon next to Subscription
- Select …
- “Individual Email” to receive individual emails (our recommended delivery setting)
- “Daily Digest” to receive a daily digest email
- “No Email” to receive no emails and read all messages on the web
Note: Email command require that you respond to a confirmation message before they will take effect, so watch both your inbox and your spam/junk folder for that confirmation request!
- To switch to Individual Email (our recommended delivery setting), send a blank email to
- To switch to Daily Digest, send a blank email to
- To switch to No Email (web only) send a blank email to
To unsubscribe from the HSAdventures Yahoo Group:
- Send a blank email to hsadventures-unsubscribe(at)yahoogroups.com and look for and respond to the confirmation message
- Go to groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/hsadventures/info
- Click on Membership
- Select Edit Membership
- From that page, click the Leave Group button (near the bottom of the page).
Additionally, a link to unsubscribe via email is included at the bottom of every message sent by every Yahoo Group.
Note: Most email command require that you respond to a confirmation message before they will take effect, so watch both your inbox and your spam/junk folder for that confirmation request!
- To join or subscribe to the HSAdventures Yahoo Group, send a blank message to hsadventures-subscribe(at)yahoogroups.com
- To unsubscribe from the HSAdventures Yahoo Group, send a blank message to hsadventures-unsubscribe(at)yahoogroups.com
- To put message delivery on hold (that is, to stop email delivery without leaving the HSAdventures Yahoo Group), send a blank message to hsadventures-nomail(at)yahoogroups.com
- To change your email delivery to Daily Digest, send a blank message to hsadventures-digest(at)yahoogroups.com
- To change your email delivery to individual emails, send a blank message to hsadventures-normal(at)yahoogroups.com
- To change your message format from "Fully Featured HTML" to "Traditional," send a blank message to hsadventures-traditional(at)yahoogroups.com
- To post a message to the HSAdventures Yahoo Group, send your message to hsadventures(at)yahoogroups.com
- To contact the HSAdventures Yahoo Group moderators, send a message to hsadventures-owner(at)yahoogroups.com
- To receive general help information, send a blank message to hsadventures-help(at)yahoogroups.com
The "Help" email sends the group description, a summary of email commands, and a link to the general Yahoo Groups Help page.
- Member Resources
- Organizing Adventures
- Event Calendar
- Find Events & Classes
- About Us
- Contact HSAdventures