Ard Godfrey House

23 University Ave SE
Minneapolis, MN

A guided tour of the oldest wood frame house existing in Minneapolis. This Greek Revival style home was built by millwright Ard Godfrey in 1848, near the corner of Main Street and Second Avenue SE. The house was moved several times before arriving in Chute Square Park in 1909. Ard Godfrey helped build the first dam and sawmill which put the waterfall of St. Anthony to use in 1848 He was also the first Postmaster on the Village of St. Anthony. His wife is credited with bringing Dandelions to Minnesota, and she did indeed import Dandelion seeds from Maine.


Information subject to change. Please check with Ard Godfrey House for the most current information. Last updated on Sun, Sep 25, 2011.